Thursday, July 21, 2011

Terrariums

Okay, so last school year I was home over spring break and my toddler cousins bought me a mini cactus potted plant. I then asked my mom to get basil at the grocery store (assuming she'd just get the leaves for my tomato, basil, and mozzerella paninis [read YUM!]) and she came home with an entire potted basil plant. Well, I took the plants to school and had a blast with them. Yeah, that does sound pathetic but it was actually a lot of fun to have life in the room! I kinda wanted a fish this year but I think that might be too much work. Judge away. However, I think these might just be perfect! Enjoy!
source

What You Will Need:
  • A glass container
  • Gravel
  • Dirt
  • Moss
  • Twigs
  • Little plants
  • A little sculpture of whatever you want
Steps:
1. Get your container!
2. Get some gravel and pour it into the cup, so it’s about half a centimeter thick.
3. Get dirt and push it down flat.
4. Grab some moss.
5. Remove the dirt.
6. Push the moss into the dirt and water it so the roots soak in.
7. Find a little plant and remove it by the roots and find twigs.
8. Place them into the cup, make sure the roots of the plant are in the soil and not sitting in the moss.
9. Rachel found a little red stone turtle to put in her cup, and I bought Tinkerbell.
buttt she was kinda of childish so I painted her gold!
10. Place in your sculpture and you are done!!
Tips: Moss is a shade plant, so keep your terrarium in the shade! and water once a day!
Total Cost: $5 just for Tinkerbell, we had everything else.
Total Time: An hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment